One of my favorite recipes from my first book, LuLu’s Kitchen. This is a go-to for when I have company.
Lump Crab à la LuLu
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 large leek, cut in ¼ inch slices, including green part
- ½ cup green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- ½ pound mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium – large fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- ¾ cup good white wine
- 1-pound jumbo lump crabmeat
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Large handful of fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a large heavy sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat. Just as butter begins to sizzle, add leeks and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add green and yellow pepper and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and continue to cook for another couple of minutes until mushrooms are softened mixture is juicy.
- Add tomatoes and continuing cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add wine, salt and pepper and mix well.
- When liquid is bubbling, gently add crabmeat. Shake the pan instead of stirring so as not to break the large lumps of crab. Cover and cook for 1 minute or until crab is heated through and mixture is back to bubbling.
- Add basil to crab and top with parmesan cheese. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 1 additional minute. Correct seasonings. Serve immediately over Garlic Cheese Grits.
- LuLu Clue: Leeks must be washed thoroughly because they can retain a lot of dirt in the layers. I slice and separate them into rings, soaking them in a sink of cold water. Then I rinse them at least twice in a colander.
LuLu Clue: The fancy name for making basil cut into ribbons is “chiffonade.” The easy way to do this is place several leaves on top of each other and roll up like a cigar. Then slice thinly making long shreds of the herb.
Garlic Cheese Grits
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 gloves garlic, minced (or more if you prefer it more “garlicky,” there really is no limit)
- 6 cups water
- ½ cup milk or heavy cream
- 1 1/3 cup regular grits
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- LuLu’s Perfect Pepper Hot Sauce
- In a small skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add minced garlic and sauté until garlic is barely soft. Make sure not to burn butter. Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, bring water and milk to a slow boil.
- Slowly add grits and salt, stirring constantly to avoid grits clumping.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until thick and creamy, stirring often.
- Add sharp cheddar cheese, butter and garlic and cook until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.